iPage Database Backups

Home Forums The Hosted Web iPage Database Backups

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Igneous1
    Keymaster

iPage has been my primary web-hosting service for years, and my experience has been pretty good. One persistent problem has been iPage’s persistent failure to recognize any of my Jeffers-related tables when scheduling backups. I don’t know why these databases have been singled out. They aren’t my only Drupal-related databases. There is a workaround: I can still backup the “inhumanist” database manually using phpMyAdmin (provided by iPage), but I have to remember to do it regularly. That said, I should do it anyway as a precaution.

Igneous1
    Keymaster

I’ve now migrated away from iPage. My new hosting service, “InMotion,” is reported by PC Magazine to provide “rock-solid uptime,” and it appears to provide nearly double the speed of iPage, which I admit is still quite slow, but I am not managing ecommerce sites. Speed is not critical. InMotion is also cheaper than iPage. iPage started out very inexpensive, but the rates have climbed to the point that it is an expensive service for “faithful” suckers like me.

InMotion’s track record is not without stains. Hopefully I’m not stepping from the frying pan into the fire.

InMotion provides a free “data restoration” service for “business class” (shared server) accounts under 10GB (I’m way under that). Unfortunately, I’ve seen recent reports of InMotion’s backup/restore service failing. InMotion does provide a simple and convenient manual backup utility. I can’t yet vouch for its thoroughness.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.